Monday, May 21, 2012

Kos, Greece Part 1

 Steve won the lotto and was sent to Greece for an international work conference.  I got to come, too, except I am deathly afraid of planes.  I usually white-knuckle every plane ride I take the whole way, convinced my sojourn here on earth has come to an end.  But 24 hours and four plane rides later, and possibly against all odds, I arrived alive in Kos.  The view from our hotel room made it mostly worth it...that's the Aegean Sea and Turkey in the background.
 While Steve was learning about boring titanium plates and screws and such, I watched the gentle waves.
 And when I grew bored of the waves, I sat on these couches and read my book.
 This is where we ate our meals each day.  The view made up for everything on this trip.  Including the food (canned fruit, soggy bacon, cold fish)...
 ...and the room, which might not be bad, if the bed weren't as hard as the floor and the couch as smelly as my socks.  (And worse of all, Greece has some sort of agreement with garbage can liner manufacturers because you aren't allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet at all anywhere in the country.)  But the view made up for it all.
 Kos Town.  The medieval castle built by the crusaders, and a fancy cruise ship.
 Kos Town harbor.
Kos Town building and lamp.  More to come later...having difficulties loading pictures, plus I want to sleep now.  Later!

2 comments:

  1. In China you're not supposed to flush TP down the toilet either, but I think it's mostly because the plumbing is easily clogged. The Chinese spent more time on high cultural artifacts, while most people in the West put their focus on the sewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe we were in Greece at the same time -- what are the odds of that? I have some very similar pictures of my feet on a lounge chair at the beach! =) You're just way ahead of me by actually posting them on your blog. The subsequent travels to France sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete